IZ is an independent non-profit association headed by a honorary board of experts and a professional, salaried management team.
Our Board 2019
Christina Engel-Unterberger is a lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences St. Pölten. She coordinates the modules for “Professional Development” as part of the Bachelor programmes for Social Work. She also heads a project for the development of advanced academic training at the University. She studies Social Work in Graz, focussing on Social Management and is supervisor and organisation consultant (ÖAGG). Her areas of focus are project development, participation, youth policy, work in groups and organisations.
Federal Environment Agency (on leave)
Christopher Opancar has more than 15 years of experience in the field of development cooperation and EU expansion in South-east and Eastern Europe. The trained agricultural economist holds a master’s degree in Law & Economics from the University of Rotterdam. In his work, he focusses on EU agricultural and structural policies, regional development, global agricultural value chains, product development and quality assurance. He received additional training and has long-standing practical experience in the fields of organisation consulting, coaching and innovation.
Teacher at the school of BFI Vienna
Karl Pleyl is teacher for Natural Sciences and works for Commercial Education schools of the BFI Vienna. In addition, he is a long-standing staff representative active in school development.
Head of Department for Education Policy at the Vienna Chamber of Labour
Gabriele Schmid studied Political Sciences and Ethnology. She heads the department of Educational Policy of the Vienna Chamber of Labour. Her work focusses on equality of opportunity, multilingualism and professional development.
Commissioner for human rights and head of the Human Rights Office of the City of Vienna
Shams Asadi studied Urban and Regional Planning at the Vienna University of Technology and abroad. Apart from work experiences in the field of urban renewal and urban development, muman rights as well as European and international cooperation are the focal areas of her work.
Board members 2018
- Paola Bortini, expert and trainer for non-formal and intercultural learning
- Christina Engel-Unterberger, lecturer at the University of Applied Sciences St. Pölten
- Bernd Kühbauer, certified social worker, Men’s Counselling Centre
- Karl Pleyl, teacher at schools of BFI Vienna
- Asadi Shams, Human Rights Commissioner of the City of Vienna
Partners & Funding Bodies
- Arbeiterkammer Wien
- Austrian Development Agency
- Bundeskanzleramt (BKA)
- Bundesministerium für Bildung (BMB)
- Bundesministerium für Europa, Integration und Äußeres (BMEIA)
- Bundesministerium für Inneres (BMI)
- ERSTE Stiftung
- Europäische Kommission - GD Bildung und Kultur
- Nationalagenturen EU-Programm Erasmus+
- Landesjugendreferate Österreich
- SALTO Youth Ressource Centres
- Stadt Wien
- Renner Institut
- Western Union